Friday, May 16, 2008

Deep Thoughts...

When I wrote my first post and organized my blog I was trying to think of a name for it. I didn't want it to just be my name. So, one of the first things that came to mind was Saturday Night Live used to have Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey. I didn't watch Saturday Night Live very much back then, but when I did, I always liked the Jacky Handey quotes. My favorite one that I have remembered since I heard it on the show was...

"You drive off a cliff, but, you're still slamming on those breaks."

I thought that was so funny!! Then, today I was reading In a Pit with a Lion on a Snow Day by Mark Batterson. And, he is telling the story in Samuel about the guy who lost an ax head in a river. And he says, "It reminds me of one of Jack Handey's Deep Thoughts: If you drop your keys in a river of molten lava, let'em go man, 'cause they're gone!!"

Here are some others I found online you might enjoy:

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.

We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

I think a good gift for the President would be a chocolate revolver. and since he is so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him real quick and give it to him.

If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

So, anyway, I hope you enjoyed these because I sure had a good time finding them!!

2 comments:

ClancyPants said...

HEY! I'm just seeing that my comment didn't save! I left a comment here, but it's not here now. Ah well... I just said that my favorite Jack Handey thought was, “If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.”

DansSugarPants said...

Your deep thought are very deep... I will definatly(?)need someone to explain some of them to me. Well... I got my blog started but I am very confusaid... it doesnt look anything like you and clancy in idahos... please help!!!