Sunday, February 1, 2009

Self Discipline

I've been giving a lot of thought to this topic lately. It is a funny thing. On one hand, we want great things to happen in our lives. We want to reach our goals and live our dreams. But, who wants to follow a strict pattern and do all the things necessary to achieve them? And even if you want to, who can? And how to they make themselves get it done?

I remember a couple of years back I was struggling with making myself go to the gym. I wanted to go. But, just couldn't make myself go when it was time. So, I decided to use some advice I heard on a cd. I am not sure which one it was exactly because a lot of them gave this advice back then. It was the pain/pleasure principle. Basically, you either deprive yourself of something you want or give yourself a reward in order to get yourself to do something you aren't doing. I decided to apply this to make going to the gym a habit. I decided that I was going to the gym 4 times per week. And, I would have to take a cold shower for every time I didn't go. So, if I only went 3 times, I got one cold shower. It wasn't just a shower lacking in warmth either. I made myself take a cold enough shower that I wouldn't stand in the water except to rinse REALLY fast. It worked. I didn't take many cold showers. And, now I love going to the gym. I am still not the best at getting there. But, I am way better than I was before I followed this pattern.

Now, here's the test of toughness. Have I ever used this technique again? No. Have there been a whole host of things I have wanted to change? Yes. So, I ask myself why not? Why not use a technique that really made a difference?

This opens up a whole new topic. Miles and I are Mona Vie Distributors. And, we are tied into the best group in the industry, Team. So, I listen to a lot of CD's about personal growth. They teach pursuing excellence, doing your best in everything you do and pursuing your goals and dreams. The difference the system (meaning the CD's and books Team provides for personal growth) has made in my life is immeasurable. But, there are things that my little brain struggles with. Like how much pressure to I place upon myself to change? I am notorious for expecting myself to accomplish way more in a day than is even humanly possible. And, then, I am hard on myself when I don't. This drives Miles crazy. He always says, "You always try to put 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag." He's right. And, I have had many a monthly break down because of it. I am doing much better now. I set more reasonable goals and don't place so much pressure on myself if I don't get them done. But, now I fear that I have gone too far the other way.

So, these are my questions. What is the right amount of pressure? What are the right things to either take away/or give when I have accomplished or failed to accomplish my objectives? How do I avoid the thoughts of complacency and procrastination that keep me from choosing something to work on and applying the pain/pleasure principle to it?

I believe that questions are the answers. I believe that as we ask questions our brain and our spirit go to work at finding those answers for us. So, these are the questions I will be pondering this week. I welcome your thoughts...

1 comment:

ClancyPants said...

No idea. But I do know that I love you and this post. I've been in the dormant phase again... January just must be the time for me. It's been a little less painful this year than it was last because I just accept that I'm dormant right now. I'm ok with it. But I do tend to beat myself up some still. I don't think that really is the answer. It just discourages me more and makes me get less done and have less desire. If I just allow for the space to be where I am and love it then I actually tend to get more done and feel better about myself. Seems like an oxymoron or a catch 22 or something, but there it is! :)

I love you, miss you and smile when I think of you!